Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Sticks and Stones"

  This is the title of the sermon our pastor, Marty, delivered last Sunday.  It keeps running through my mind so I feel compelled to write on it.  The Scripture he based the message on is James 3:2-12 and begins, "We all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way." Then 7 & 8 say, "People can tame all kinds of animals and birds and reptiles and fish, but no one can tame the tongue.  It is an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison."(NLT)  AMEN!  He goes on to say that words are 3 things (I love sermon note sheets):  #1 - Words are Powerful.  (Prov. 18:21 & 10:19); #2 - Words are Dangerous.  (James 3:3 & 3:5-6).  Words are dangerous because: - We are inconsistent people.  (James 3:9), and - We are all different.  And, #3 - Words are Memorable.  (Prov. 12:18 & 16:24).  Why do people (we) say the things they do?  And why do we believe them?  In "Pretty Woman", Julia Roberts' character is telling Richard Gere's character about how she grew up, always being told what was wrong with her and how worthless she was and she said, "Why is it that the bad is always easier to believe?"  THIS IS SO TRUE!!!  We (I) can receive many compliments and just blow them off but when someone says one mean, hateful, hurtful thing we remember it word for word forever.  It's too easy to say hurtful things, we can do it unintentionally.  I remember saying something to my son that I meant to be encouraging but it wasn't received as encouragement, it hurt him.  If my sweet daughter-in-love hadn't had the courage to tell me, it might have destroyed our relationship!  My children are my life, I would never intentionally say anything to hurt any of them - but it still happened.  Words have so much impact and once they are said they can't be taken back.  We can fall to our knees and tearfully and heartfully beg forgiveness, and even receive that forgiveness, but those words have still been said and will probably be remembered.  I think this message had so much impact on me because I have been hurt so often by words and it's hard to let go of them.  I try so very hard not to do the same to others, I pray that I succeed at least most of the time.  Kindness is a legacy I would hope to pass on to my precious children and nanchildren - I love them ALL so very much!!  And I hope that they will remember me as the Mom and Nana who loved and cherished them and said sweet, encouraging words over them - this is my prayer.  

Stay safe within His loving arms! 

2 comments: